It’s officially summer! I always love this season for the longer days, warmer evenings, and definitely the food. I can say that this year I am a bit more excited because we will be welcoming a summer baby! I am going to share with you some of my favorite activities in summer and some great recommendations for those in the Central New York area!
- Beach Day. (pretty obvious), I highly recommend Green Lakes State Park or for a smaller beach experience, Gilly Beach for those in CNY.
- Ice Cream Date. I personally have craved soft serve and custard this pregnancy. I highly recommend Peter’s Polar Parlor in Syracuse.
- Host/attend a BBQ. Whether you enjoy grilling or being hosted, I always have summer memories of BBQing or attending them.
- Go on a nature walk/hike. For those in CNY the Eerie Canal Path in Camillus is a great place to go on a long nature walk. It’s perfect for the family or to explore alone. I prefer to go earlier in the morning to avoid the heat.
- Go to a splash pad. I recommend this one for families and adults because who doesn’t have fun at a splash pad?! The one in in Camillus is great for all ages!
- Get out on the water. Whether you own a boat, rent a kayak (Green Lakes is a great place to do that), or go on a boat tour (Skaneateles has a beautiful one) being on the water is such a peaceful way to spend a summer day!
- Spend time outside with animals. A petting zoo or traditional zoo is a great day trip for all ages! Old McDonald’s Farm in Sackets Harbor is adorable and interactive for the entire family; also the ice cream is delicious too!
- Head to a water park. For those of you in Upstate/Central NY Old Forge is always a great option for water park fun. If you’re looking to travel a bit further Seabreeze in Rochester is a good option or Six Flags Great Escape in Lake George.
- Go Camping. Camping is something my family and I did almost every year, whether we had a tent or a camper it was always a fond childhood memory. A great option in Upstate NY is one of Jellystone’s many camping locations. They have locations in the Finger Lakes, Western NY, the Hudson Valley Region, and in the Catskills.
- Wine Tour. This one’s for the adults, and I wish I could attend this summer! Being so close to the finger lakes a wine tour is a great way to spend a summer day. Winding down in the evening on the lake with a glass of wine can be a wonderful way to end the day.
- Go to a concert. In Central and Upstate NY we have some great concert venues, from the Amphitheater in Syracuse to SPAC in Saratoga. There are also great small venues to catch a show and possibly some food trucks. Two of my favorite are Local 315 Brewing Company and Beak & Skiff.
- Attend local outdoor events. There are so many wonderful events that are held throughout the summer. For those with kids local libraries and parks have a lot of great outdoor activities to entertain kids and families of all ages. We personally love attending outdoor story time at Liverpool Library!
- Food and Culture Festivals. In Central NY we have a wide range of festivals throughout the summer such as the Taste of Syracuse, Greek Fest, Middle Eastern Cultural Festival, and Salt City Summerfest to name a few. Check your local area’s website for info about your town or city!
- Staycation. I personally love a good staycation. Planning out a day and evening of summer relaxation with the family without having to load everyone in the car can be so much less stressful! It can be as simple as some water play (sprinkler, wading pool, water table, etc) during the day and an outdoor movie screening in the evening. Create those memories at home!
- Go to the Fair. Finally, attending a local or state fair can be a great way to spend a day in the summer. We are lucky to have the NYS fair in our city and it’s a great way to end summer with delicious food, drinks, concerts, and everything the fair has to offer!
I would love to hear your Summer bucket list activities, make sure to leave a comment here or on my most recent instagram post!